The Warm Home Discount is a government scheme which will offer £140 off your electricity bills this winter, or a voucher for households with prepayment meters.
Households in receipt of the Guaranteed Element of Pension credit receive the discount automatically if the recipients name is on the bill. If it is not you may need to tell your supplier you qualify for Warm Home Discount.
To qualify you must meet the criteria set by your electricity company. These criteria vary from company to company. However you will probably qualify if:
- You receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance,Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit and have a child who is under 5 or disabled
- You have an income below £16,000 and a member of your household is either under 5, disabled or over 62
- You receive Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) which includes either the support or work related component (you will have undergone a Work Capacity Assessment and are still in receipt of ESA).
- You can also qualify for the discount if you use a prepayment meter.
If you are in receipt of the guarantee element of pension credit then you should automatically receive the discount and do not need to call.
For 2017/18 the following suppliers will be involved in the scheme:
- Bristol Energy
- British Gas
- Co-operative energy
- Economy Energy
- EDF Energy
- Extra Energy
- First Utility
- Fischer Energy
- Flow Energy
- GB Energy – see Co-operative energy
- M&S Energy
- Our Power
- Sainsbury’s Energy – see British Gas
- Scottish Gas – see British Gas
- Southern Electric (SSE)
- Spark Energy
- Utility Warehouse
The criteria are slightly different for each energy company, so to check if you qualify and to register please contact the Energy Advice Team.
The energy companies have to find a minimum number of people to register and often close registration once this has been met so please call as soon as possible if you think you may be eligible.
The money isn’t paid to you; it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, usually paid between October and March.
Struggling with your water bills too? WaterSure Plus may be able to reduce your costs.